When Was The Last Time You Heard A Sermon On Demons?

When was the last time you preached or heard a sermon about demons?

Demons are not something modern, educated, mainline Christians talk much about, even though they are prominent throughout the New Testament. We tend to write off the concept as superstitious and scientifically ignorant.

This dismissal happens because we don’t understand what “demon” or “demonic” really means. Typically, we use it to indicate a sort of evil magic, or a creature who serves the devil. Historical usage, however, is much broader.

The notion of demons exists as far back as ancient Egypt, and spans over many civilizations and historical eras. They all relate to some sort of outside entity that overcomes, inhabits, or affects humans - but the nature of that entity ranges from “evil” to “lesser” to “genius” to “divine.” 

In other words, demonic is not a function of the Christian concept of Satan, as I have often assumed in the past. It has a much deeper meaning, one that has to do with the process by which an outside force can invade, overcome, influence, and transform. The process itself is value neutral, and can be used for either good or bad purposes. It can also have deadly unintended consequences.

As I unfold this new blog called “Seeds of Confusion,” I will describe my own experience with what doctors have labeled “bipolar disorder.” I was diagnosed at age 15, and have struggled off and on with the condition ever since. I do not dispute this medical diagnosis, for the treatment has helped me greatly. But as I have matured into my 30’s and 40’s, I have learned how to manage the condition more effectively and have begun to discover other ways to frame my experiences. 

One of those frames, believe it or not, is the notion of demons and the demonic as described in the New Testament. Taking both the positive and negative connotations of the word, I feel that a treatment of how Jesus encounters the demons in his time can give us some powerful direction for how to deal with the challenges and mysteries of faith in our time - especially as they relate to a rapidly changing world and religious landscape.

Bear with me. I know this is confusing now. It is supposed to be. I’m not exactly sure where this is leading either. 

Next week, I will introduce one of the key characteristics of the demonic, which is “division.” I feel this is a particular challenge we face in our culture these days.


Jesus Talking with the Gerasene Demoniac


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human Sinfulness: A Disease, or a Series of Chains?

Are We Building Our Own Tower of Babel?